Thursday, May 20, 2010

Today's Mission:

Operation Summer Job Search...


So, today begins my much-dreaded search to find a summer job.  I don't mind working at all- the worst part, though, is sifting through all the local businesses to find the job.  I get so nervous when it comes to looking for jobs that, many times, I hold off on the whole thing for a few days until I've worked up enough stamina to get me through the whole search & application process.

I told myself not to wait to find a summer job, but it seems I always end up in this position during the summer break.  Ayyyy... when will I learn??!  I also told myself this past week that I'd go out and search for potential summer positions this past Monday.... It's Thursday now, and I still haven't made an effort to fill out any applications.  Hmmm.  There is definitely something wrong here.

But, today I am dragging myself out of the house and down the main strip of my town so as to start this whole process once again.  Filling out, en-masse, job applications; figuring how far I'm willing to walk to a job; getting an idea of the people who work there (if they're potential creepy old/young men, then I'm outta there without even picking up an application); making phone calls and unannounced drop-by's to convince them they should hire me; and pulling my hair out the entire time.

Sometimes I wish I had connections: a family-run business that I could fall back on, a secretarial position (or any position, for that matter!) at a relative's place of work; or even people I knew with kids who'd need a babysitter for the summer.  But, no, none of the above apply.  Oh, well.  :)

Although this whole new job thing scares me endlessly and makes me unnecessarily nervous, I do appreciate it in the end.  After all, it means getting to know new people, a new place, and a new profession.  Well, maybe not that last one, depending on where I'm hired.  We'll debate later whether or not working as a cashier or fast-food handler is considered a 'profession.'  Maybe.

Well, here I go now.  Off to get ready to go out and about and find my summer job.  Wish me luck!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment